Jonathan specialises in clinical negligence law.
He has over 27 years’ experience advising clients across a range of sectors including medical indemnifiers, insurers and re-insurers, working as a solicitor and high claims handler. He has experience in other jurisdictions, including Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland and Israel. His primary experience has been in GP Medical Defence Organisation work, complemented by independent healthcare and NHSR work.
For 8 years, he managed a successful team of lawyers as Head of Claims at the Leeds office of the Medical Protection Society and is a published medico-legal writer (avoiding errors series). He has a special interest in patient safety. As a Legal Director, he horizon scans to spot future medico-legal trends and is currently spearheading a project looking at artificial intelligence and the profound impact it will have on future medical practice and medico-legal claims.
His key clients include the Medical Defence Union Limited, BMI Healthcare, HCA International and The MPLC. He also works with CNA Hardy and Evodental and a private dental implant clinic.
Jonathan thinks outside the box and enjoys finding innovative and creative solutions to his clients’ problems.
Relevant experience includes:
- Jonathan is well placed to work on unusual projects and cases. For example, he has undertaken reserve audits of indemnifiers and insurers for re-insurers.
- BMI Healthcare Limited - case settled at significant undervalue by buying claim of bankrupt Claimant from Official Receiver.
- Successfully struck out an economic loss claim valued at £2 million for the HCA International Limited . The claim was made by a husband in relation to allegedly negligent advice given to him about his wife’s condition.
- Whilst at MPS, Jonathan drafted the MDO-NHSR apportionment protocol and has a unique understanding of apportionment issues. He uses this knowledge to obtain advantageous apportionment agreements for his clients in CoDefendant cases.
- Jonathan is currently working on a number of cases involving non-delegable duty of care and vicarious liability issues. He is alive to the developments in these areas of the law, which he applies in pursuit of his client’s best interests.
Jonathan has a reputation for obtaining good results in complex and technical high value claims.
The Legal 500 said that he is :“Very approachable. Tenacious with a meticulous eye for detail.”
Quotes from clients:
“Great news and a good result from what was a very unusual case” - case settled at significant undervalue by buying claim of bankrupt Claimant from Official Receiver.
“Thank you so much for letting me know that the claimant has accepted £1.95m, gross of CRU, in full and final settlement. This is an excellent result... Your quantum advice was excellent and I know was much relied on by leading counsel. Your strategic advice was also fantastic and certainly made my management of the case much easier.".
- 3 Hardman Street
- M3 3HF
+44 (0) 161 934 3260View our office