Defamation and Reputation Management
A respected brand or reputation takes years to build but can be damaged all too quickly, and take a huge amount of time and investment to restore. Our team advises businesses, individuals, insurers and public bodies on a wide range of defamation and reputation management issues. Whether you are looking to protect your reputation or defend claims made against you, we provide advice that combines an effective legal strategy with a commercial approach in this highly sensitive area.
We understand the sensitivities involved in handling defamation and reputation management challenges where reputation is paramount and breach cannot always be easily compensated in damages. We are on hand to act quickly and are well-versed with dealing with (threatened) urgent injunctive remedies if required.
Our team has extensive experience representing clients in court including on applications for emergency relief, but we also often work behind the scenes to secure cost-effective, robust solutions that limit damage and allow you to move on.
We have particular expertise in working with public bodies, helping them to protect their reputations whilst navigating complex regulation.
The advice we offer includes:
- Challenging and preventing publication of damaging stories or private information in the media, online or in a commercial context;
- Advice on liaising with the media and relevant codes of conduct;
- Obtaining, defending and discharging emergency injunctions;
- Litigation involving defamation, malicious falsehood, privacy, breach of confidence and harassment;
- Brand and reputation management and enhancement strategies;
- Pre-publication/broadcast advice to those at risk of publishing potentially contentious material;
- Data protection issues;
- Dealing with harassment.
- Secured a very unusual reporting restriction order which prevented the national media from publishing the name of a witness in a High Court trial because of the risk of physical harm if identified.
- Defended the authors of a peer-reviewed clinical trial report in allegations of libel by a product manufacturer.
- Defeated a claim brought by a clinician who objected to comments about him in the final report following a major inquiry.
- Defended a client in High Court defamation proceedings in relation to the publication of a whistleblowing letter involving a senior member of staff.
- Advised an NHS Trust and obtained an injunction against a former employee, preventing him from harassing its chief nurse.
- Advised a local authority on the harassment of its Chief Executive by one of its Councillors.
- Advised our client on proposed articles on national media coverage on Panorama, The Times, Newsnight, Channel 4 News and The Daily Mail. We helped identify the legal risk and help craft the response for publication and background briefing to journalists.
- Secured an order that junior members of staff be anonymised in documents disclosed during a high profile judicial review.
Banking and Finance Disputes
We specialise in handling complex, domestic and international financial disputes, advising banks, financial institutions and financial professionals across a wide spectrum of claims.Learn more
We advise on all aspects of business crime with a market leading team that delivers sophisticated support and practical solutions to any issue.Learn more
Clinical Risk and Medical Malpractice
We understand the challenges that arise in the healthcare sector when patient expectations are not met, and we also recognise that cost pressures in the sector and on medical malpractice indemnifiers have never been so acute. As the provision of healthcare fragments away from its traditional delivery models, more and more claims activity will affect commercial entities, private clinics, hospitals, general healthcare providers – and their insurers.Learn more
Defamation and Reputation Management
A respected brand or reputation takes years to build but can be damaged all too quickly, and take a huge amount of time and investment to restore. Our team advises businesses, individuals, insurers and public bodies on a wide range of defamation and reputation management issues. Whether you are looking to protect your reputation or defend claims made against you, we provide advice that combines an effective legal strategy with a commercial approach in this highly sensitive area.Learn more
We have considerable experience of investigating corporate fraud, internal and external, and particular expertise in penetrating the confidentiality of offshore jurisdictions. We advise on the legal issues surrounding covert investigations and aggressive litigation techniques, including injunctive relief, to uncover evidence of theft and recover stolen assets.Learn more
Working as part of one of the largest, leading health and social care teams in the UK, we recognise the importance of resolving disputes in a way that meets the needs of patients and healthcare providers – both NHS and independent. Our extensive network of lawyers, in the UK and across the world, are experts in resolving commercial disputes with innovative, practical advice.Learn more
The premier adviser to the global insurance sector, offering innovative insurance claims solutions, and policy advice, including mediation, arbitration, and litigation.Learn more
Disputes can be a highly sensitive matter for businesses. Parties choose arbitration because the process is private, ensuring confidentiality and minimising the risk of reputational damage. Arbitration can be swifter, cost-effective and a more flexible process than court proceedings, allowing for a more tailored approach and a range of solutions. Arbitration also provides finality, with limited grounds to challenge an arbitral award. It is increasingly the preferred choice for cross-border and multi-jurisdictional disputes.Learn more
Defamation and reputation management key contacts
There are no matching people, please try a different filter.
+44 (0)20 7894 6855
+44 (0)117 9182726
+44 (0)117 918 2018
+44(0)20 7894 6311
Who we are
Why choose DAC Beachcroft?
We’re a broad-based commercial firm serving a wide range of sectors with a strong heritage in insurance,
health and real estate. We combine excellent legal skills and cutting-edge delivery expertise to design
solutions that fit the needs of our clients – often involving clever uses of technology.
DAC Beachcroft is recognised as a pre-eminent advisor to the insurance market, and we place a strong emphasis on the long-term relationships we build with you so that we can really add value to your business.Learn more
Health and Social Care
DAC Beachcroft is regarded as market leaders in the provision of corporate, commercial and regulatory legal advice to healthcare providers.Learn more
With 170 lawyers we are one of the largest Real Estate legal teams in the UK. Our extensive network gives us national, regional and local knowledge and access.Learn more
We regularly advise product designers and manufacturers, trade bodies, and retailers, distributors and venture capitalists looking to invest in the financial services sector.Learn more
As long-standing and trusted advisers in the technology sector, we deliver pragmatic and innovative solutions that empower you to make informed decisions about how best to maximise your success.Learn more