Claims made against legal indemnity policies are wide-ranging. Insurers and policyholders need support from lawyers who combine insurance expertise with a sound understanding of property law and litigation. Our dedicated team of specialist lawyers helps clients navigate claims arising from both instant-issue and more complex bespoke policies. A cradle to grave claims-handling service for legal indemnity claims is available where needed.
Our Legal Indemnities team is led by key talented individuals, supported by specialist teams in both the insurance and real estate sectors.
Legal Indemnity insurance is a critical component of property sales, development and refinancing. Policies underwrite the market value of real estate and when claims rise they are often complex, urgent and stressful.
The team provides advice on coverage followed by a strategy to resolve the issue and settle the claim. The key to effective claims management is an early evaluation and carefully planned approach. We draw upon years of experience in the legal indemnities space to put in place a strategy that provides a positive customer experience in a cost-effective manner.
We pride ourselves on our communication with policy holders. This is vital in achieving an outcome which satisfies both our insurer clients and their customers. We provide clarity and certainty, even in the most difficult cases.
- Defective Title - In a case where the Insured had built an estate of houses on a site, half of which was unregistered and the paper title holder could not be identified, we avoided a claim exceeding the limit of indemnity when the paper title holder issued possession proceedings. We defended that claim on the basis of adverse possession, and secured a settlement at mediation in return for a modest payment.
- Restrictive Covenant - A covenant beneficiary asserted a right to prevent a high-value development of apartments in North London. Our careful analysis of the legal position, explained in correspondence, persuaded the beneficiary to abandon the claim. In covenant claims we always monitor the situation and support the policyholder right through to completion of the sale of the units in dispute.
- Absence of easement - The Insured purchased two windfarms in Ireland, access to which was over numerous private properties. The Insured’s policy covered various title defects and the absence of documented rights of access. The adjoining landowners took various steps to try to prevent access. We provided swift coverage advice to enable Insurers to limit their exposure.
- No Search Indemnity - After completion the Insured discovered that planning had been granted for a social housing site down the road. The Insured’s solicitors handled the claim but failed to consider the policy response and instructed an expert who inflated the loss. We appointed a suitably-qualified expert and negotiated a fair settlement with the Insured.
- Rights to light - The Insured hotel developer faced a claim alleging actionable interference with rights to light. The threat of an injunction was averted by appointment of appropriate experts. Early without prejudice discussions took place leading to a negotiated settlement and the completion of the development without delay.
- Mortgage Fraud - The Insured’s borrower claimed to be the victim of a fraud. Our investigations unpicked the facts of a complex background and proved that the borrower knowingly entered into the mortgage agreement. We obtained a suspended possession order on the basis of the lender’s subrogation to an earlier debt and we were then able to procure the possession and sale of the property, leading to a complete recovery.
We provide specialist advice for insurance companies on the procurement and use of enterprise technology solutions, to include telematics, data analytics, and AI.Learn more
Aviation and aerospace
With significant global aviation expertise, we offer high-quality, specialist and cost-effective advice on any aviation-related insurance issues you face.Learn more
Civil Liberties, Public Bodies and Specialist Liability
With many years' experience acting for the public and private sectors in these complex, and sensitive areas, we offer expert advice across discrimination and Equality Act claims, abuse and social services claims, unlawful detention, and Deprivation of Liberty claims (DoLS).Learn more
Construction and Engineering Disputes
Our highly experienced global team delivers a consistent, quality claims experience across the full range of construction and engineering risks.Learn more
Contingency and Event Cancellation
As leading lawyers in the insurance sector, we can advise on any issues relating to contingency claims and event cancellation/non-appearance claims.Learn more
We deliver costs expertise for you with deep experience and use of knowledge that underpins our whole business.Learn more
Our Counter Fraud team is the most digitally advanced in the UK with huge strength and scale comprising of 100 lawyers in all UK jurisdictions.Learn more
Cyber and Data Risk
We provide a full-service solution, tackling the full spectrum of cyber and data risks faced, and insured, by our insurance sector clients.Learn more
D&O and Financial Institutions
Our extensive experience from across the globe covers both financial institutions and commercial Director & Officers (D&O) matters.Learn more
Employment Practices Liability
Our market leading employment practice includes a specialist Employment Practices Liability (EPL) team who support UK and global insurersLearn more
As a firm with insurance at the heart of its business, we understand the regulatory challenges faced by insurers, brokers and distributors.Learn more
Our market leading team acts for primary and excess insurers and reinsurers in London, Europe, Bermuda and the US.Learn more
Our market-leading Casualty team acts for composite insurers, London market and run off insurers, providing deep and broad expertise across England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.Learn more
International Personal Injury
As a full-service law firm with global reach, we are market leaders in all aspects of international personal injury.Learn more
Our specialist Legal Indemnities team advises on claims against all types of legal indemnity policies. We also provide a claims-handling service.Learn more
Our life sciences team advises many of the UK’s leading pharmaceutical companies, medical device, software, and AI manufacturers, as well as consumer healthcare suppliers and their insurers.Learn more
Marine, Energy and Transport
Our marine, energy and transport insurance practice has global expertise to advise you with practical and commercially focused advice.Learn more
Our specialist insurance lawyers make up one of the largest national motor teams in the UK.Learn more
As a market leading specialist with a truly international platform, we advise the insurance sector on all product governance and policy wordings to help manage your risk.Learn more
Political Risk, Trade Credit and Political Violence
We advise on the physical and financial impact of political risk, from war and terrorism to nationalisation, confiscation, expropriation and deprivation.Learn more
Product liability, safety and recall
Our experts advise on all aspects of product liability, safety and recall and can help you manage the full range of risks involved.Learn more
Our leading professional liability team maintains an unparalleled reputation for protecting the interests of professional services firms.Learn more
We act for market leaders across sectors as diverse as commercial, residential, real estate, local authority, retail, hospitality, manufacturing, construction, energy and waste management. Our team is experienced in policy coverage disputes, subrogated recoveries, defence of property damage claims and reinsurance disputes.Learn more
With a unique position in the reinsurance market, as long-term trusted advisers for the insurance sector, we deliver innovative solutions with a commercial perspective.Learn more
Our strategic advisory team uniquely offers market insight on reforms together with commercial and regulatory advice in the claims space.Learn more
What our clients say
I have been dealing with DAC Beachcroft for over 20 years now and have always found the team to be professional, courteous and extremely knowledgeable
I deal mostly with Tessa Rook who is both competent and knowledgeable and has managed on many occasions to reduce our company's payments to aggrieved insured parties by careful and considered negotiation. Tessa's approach is always fair and reasonable
I respect that decision James and I’m grateful for the work you have done. It’s been reassuring dealing with you regardless of this outcome, thank you for that.
You have been particularly helpful to me since I first took over the Legal Indemnity work and was finding my way with it and needed all the help I could get!
Legal Indemnities key contacts
There are no matching people, please try a different filter.
+44(0)117 918 2061
+44 (0)117 918 2065
+44 (0) 117 918 2119
+44 (0) 117 918 2717
+44 (0) 117 918 2306
+44 (0) 117 918 2633
Who we are
Why choose DAC Beachcroft?
We’re a broad-based commercial firm serving a wide range of sectors with a strong heritage in insurance,
health and real estate. We combine excellent legal skills and cutting-edge delivery expertise to design
solutions that fit the needs of our clients – often involving clever uses of technology.
DAC Beachcroft is recognised as a pre-eminent advisor to the insurance market, and we place a strong emphasis on the long-term relationships we build with you so that we can really add value to your business.Learn more
Health and Social Care
DAC Beachcroft is regarded as market leaders in the provision of corporate, commercial and regulatory legal advice to healthcare providers.Learn more
With 170 lawyers we are one of the largest Real Estate legal teams in the UK. Our extensive network gives us national, regional and local knowledge and access.Learn more
We regularly advise product designers and manufacturers, trade bodies, and retailers, distributors and venture capitalists looking to invest in the financial services sector.Learn more
As long-standing and trusted advisers in the technology sector, we deliver pragmatic and innovative solutions that empower you to make informed decisions about how best to maximise your success.Learn more