Banking and Finance Disputes
Our international reach, technical excellence, and in-depth knowledge of the financial sector means we can resolve even the most complex and technically demanding disputes. We provide strategic, pre-emptive advice, and guide our clients through the challenges of litigation or arbitration when disputes progress.
Our first-class team specialises in complex, domestic and international disputes across the financial services sector, acting for and against banks, financial institutions, trading houses, hedge funds, asset and wealth managers, financial advisers and securities brokers.
We advise on a wide range of banking and financial claims including disputes relating to structured financial products and derivatives, investment disputes, private banking disputes, mis-selling, fraud, loan defaults and security enforcement. We also specialise in defending financial professionals against liability claims, assisting with regulatory investigations and advising on disciplinary-related matters.
We are experts in obtaining time-critical remedies to trace, preserve and recover assets including search orders, freezing injunctions, and requests for information and disclosure orders.
We partner with our clients to achieve their best commercial outcome, tailoring our dispute resolution strategy from the outset. We vigorously pursue claims and robustly defend claims on our clients' behalf. In commercially sensitive cases or where disputes require a lighter touch, mediation, negotiated settlement or arbitration are options. Our international reach means we can swiftly assemble experts in multiple jurisdictions, providing a coordinated response to international and cross-border financial disputes in litigation or arbitration.
We work closely with other practice areas within the firm to advise on emerging risks and novel claims such as fin-tech and cryptocurrencies, financial crime, ESG-related claims challenging sustainable investments, cybercrime and data theft.
- Acting for certain Defendants (including the former Bulgarian Minister of Finance) in their defence of a £330m claim by LIC Telecommunications SARL and Empreno Ventures Limited. The claims arise from an allegedly wrongful sale of shares in companies which were ultimately owned by Vivacom, Bulgaria’s largest telecommunications network, to a third party by auction in London. It is alleged that the sale was conceived by a conspiracy.
- Acting for Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena (“BMPS”) in defence of a claim by Nomura for declarations of validity and non-liability in relation to the restructuring of a series of complex financial transactions. There were also proceedings in Italy brought by BMPS against Nomura in which BMPS claimed damages arising from the same transactions of not less than €700m. Ultimately BMPS was able to settle the case, receiving a discount from Nomura of over €400m.
- Acting in defence of a claim by Bank Leumi for monies claimed under personal guarantee when the principal debtor entered into administration at instigation of the Bank.
- Acting for a defendant in a £1.2billion claim by the Danish tax authority alleging global conspiracy, fraud and money laundering in connection with applications for refunds of withholding tax arising from a complex trading structure (the SKAT litigation).
- Acting for IBRC in defence of a £16m claim by a group of investors relating to allegations of misrepresentation and breach of FSMA.
- Acting in a $40m dispute involving allegations of fraudulent misrepresentation and unlawful means conspiracy in relation to the sale of shares in a hedge fund business.
- Acting in a shareholder’s dispute in a £200million capitalised company, backed by institutional investors, involving whistleblowing claims, minority unfair prejudice claims and claims under LCIA arbitration.
- Acting for multiple parties in connection with industry-wide regulatory and criminal investigations into LIBOR, EURIBOR, F/X and more discreet investigations into sanctions breaches, money laundering, bribery and corruption, and market abuse.
Banking and Finance Disputes
We specialise in handling complex, domestic and international financial disputes, advising banks, financial institutions and financial professionals across a wide spectrum of claims.Learn more
We advise on all aspects of business crime with a market leading team that delivers sophisticated support and practical solutions to any issue.Learn more
Clinical Risk and Medical Malpractice
We understand the challenges that arise in the healthcare sector when patient expectations are not met, and we also recognise that cost pressures in the sector and on medical malpractice indemnifiers have never been so acute. As the provision of healthcare fragments away from its traditional delivery models, more and more claims activity will affect commercial entities, private clinics, hospitals, general healthcare providers – and their insurers.Learn more
Defamation and Reputation Management
A respected brand or reputation takes years to build but can be damaged all too quickly, and take a huge amount of time and investment to restore. Our team advises businesses, individuals, insurers and public bodies on a wide range of defamation and reputation management issues. Whether you are looking to protect your reputation or defend claims made against you, we provide advice that combines an effective legal strategy with a commercial approach in this highly sensitive area.Learn more
We have considerable experience of investigating corporate fraud, internal and external, and particular expertise in penetrating the confidentiality of offshore jurisdictions. We advise on the legal issues surrounding covert investigations and aggressive litigation techniques, including injunctive relief, to uncover evidence of theft and recover stolen assets.Learn more
Working as part of one of the largest, leading health and social care teams in the UK, we recognise the importance of resolving disputes in a way that meets the needs of patients and healthcare providers – both NHS and independent. Our extensive network of lawyers, in the UK and across the world, are experts in resolving commercial disputes with innovative, practical advice.Learn more
The premier adviser to the global insurance sector, offering innovative insurance claims solutions, and policy advice, including mediation, arbitration, and litigation.Learn more
Disputes can be a highly sensitive matter for businesses. Parties choose arbitration because the process is private, ensuring confidentiality and minimising the risk of reputational damage. Arbitration can be swifter, cost-effective and a more flexible process than court proceedings, allowing for a more tailored approach and a range of solutions. Arbitration also provides finality, with limited grounds to challenge an arbitral award. It is increasingly the preferred choice for cross-border and multi-jurisdictional disputes.Learn more
Shipping, Trade and Commodities
Our specialist team provides expert advice and support on a range of aspects of shipping and foreign trade.Learn more
What our clients say
Great personal service.
Legal 500, 2022 edition, Commercial Litigation London.
John Bramhall – an enthusiastic, seasoned campaigner who has seen it all.
Legal 500, 2022 edition, Commercial Litigation London.
Banking and Finance Disputes key contacts
There are no matching people, please try a different filter.
Who we are
Why choose DAC Beachcroft?
We’re a broad-based commercial firm serving a wide range of sectors with a strong heritage in insurance,
health and real estate. We combine excellent legal skills and cutting-edge delivery expertise to design
solutions that fit the needs of our clients – often involving clever uses of technology.
DAC Beachcroft is recognised as a pre-eminent advisor to the insurance market, and we place a strong emphasis on the long-term relationships we build with you so that we can really add value to your business.Learn more
Health and Social Care
DAC Beachcroft is regarded as market leaders in the provision of corporate, commercial and regulatory legal advice to healthcare providers.Learn more
With 170 lawyers we are one of the largest Real Estate legal teams in the UK. Our extensive network gives us national, regional and local knowledge and access.Learn more
We regularly advise product designers and manufacturers, trade bodies, and retailers, distributors and venture capitalists looking to invest in the financial services sector.Learn more
As long-standing and trusted advisers in the technology sector, we deliver pragmatic and innovative solutions that empower you to make informed decisions about how best to maximise your success.Learn more