Chris specialises in advising corporate and insured clients on health, safety and environmental compliance and risk issues. His experience covers advising on responses to regulatory enquires, often in the immediate aftermath of an incident, and acting in prosecutions. He regularly advises clients on enforcement notices and has experience acting in the Coroner’s Court.
Chris’ experience includes advising clients across a range of sectors including construction, manufacturing, agriculture, leisure and health & social care.
Relevant experience includes:
- Acted for a punt-tour / craft-hire operator following two water-related incidents investigated by Cambridge City Council. Following an in depth investigation into the operator’s procedures and liaison with the regulator, no further action was taken in either case.
- Following these incidents, instructed to review the operator’s health and safety procedures, which included advising on licensing requirements for activities subject to regulation under the Adventure Activities Licensing Authority.
- Advising supermarket and directors in an alleged corporate manslaughter following a fatality involving a delivery driver crushed by a forklift. Additional issues in the case include the involvement of the HMRC and immigration in relation to tax and the employment status of workers.
- Acted for a farmer facing an allegation of gross negligence manslaughter after fatally colliding with a worker whilst operating a telehandler. Represented client at PACE interview, following which the Police confirmed no further action would be taken. Instructed to represent client at Inquest.
- Acted for a roofing company following fatal fall from height. Advised in relation to both the criminal investigation against the company and sole director, and at Inquest.
- Acted for a forging company specialising in the manufacture of hot forged, machined and fabricated metal components, following an employee suffering a multiple finger amputation. Investigation involved the assessment of comparable UK / international forges and the input of leading experts in the industry. Significant industry attention in prosecution and findings.
- Assisting in representing a waste recycling company prosecuted for corporate manslaughter following the death of an employee in a machine.
Chris provides training / seminars to clients on legal duties and case-based learning scenarios. He is also experienced providing health and safety due diligence during commercial transactions and recently contributed to the health and safety due diligence for the merging of two NHS Trusts.
In addition to his health and safety practice, Chris also has experience advising and representing individuals and companies subject to prosecution by the HMRC and CPS for revenue offences.
Construction and Engineering
Safety, Health and Environment
- DAC Beachcroft LLP
- Portwall Place, Portwall Lane
- Bristol, BS1 6NA
+44 (0) 117 918 2000View our office