Nicola specialises in Real Estate.
Nicola acts for both private and public sector clients on a wide range of estates matters but with a particular emphasis on large scale development or investment transactions and the related project management.
Nicola has over 21 years’ experience in the real estate market and recent examples of that experience include advising:
- A national logistics company on the occupation of substantial regional hub facilities including the negotiation of the agreement for lease (involving landlord works obligations); leading on the complex due diligence exercise; and project managing the delivery of the advice across the construction, real estate litigation, planning and tax aspects of the project.
- A local authority on the development documentation required to deliver a £40m key city centre site regeneration scheme (in partnership with a private developer) through a complex surrender, sale, development agreement and lease structure, together with supporting option and overage arrangements.
- A central government body on various aspects of their property portfolio including acquisition of strategic EU Exit sites, delivery of a regional centres programme and PFI exit arrangements.
- A local authority on the acquisition and leaseback of a £25m hospital site with strategic redevelopment opportunities, the purchase of a £47m site for the delivery of civic facilities and the disposal of the former civic headquarters for residential development.
- A university on the acquisition of a closing city centre hospital site for £15m including complex split site acquisition arrangements and phased decant provisions together with the procurement and appointment of a JV partner.
- A Norwegian telecoms provider on their initial presence in the UK including securing various land interests for cabling requirements and data centre occupational arrangements.
Prior to her promotion to Partner in 2020, Nicola had been recognised by Chambers & Partners as a “Star Associate” for three consecutive years. She is described as "simply fantastic” and “really approachable" as well as being praised for her ability to "translate legal jargon into a layman's perspective."
‘‘I would follow Nicola Fairbairn to any firm she practised in, as her positive attitude and capacity for hard work gives me confidence that even the most difficult and confrontational negotiations will be resolved with a positive outcome.” Legal 500 UK 2021, Commercial property, Newcastle
Investment and Development
- Bank House
- East Pilgrim Street
- Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 6QF
+44 (0) 191 404 4000View our office