Jonathan specialises in corporate and commercial matters, including mergers and acquisitions, disposals, shareholders' agreements, joint ventures, bank finance, co-investment structures, corporate reorganisations and contractual arrangements. Over the years he has been involved in a significant number of cross-border transactions.
Jonathan heads DACB’s Corporate team in London. He is one of the leading medical cannabis lawyers in the UK and leads the firm’s Medical Cannabis and CBD desk. He also leads the firm’s Canada desk, Fashion & Beauty desk and is a member of the German desk.
Jonathan has over 25 years’ experience in corporate and commercial work and advises clients on general corporate legal matters. He has particular expertise in securities offering including IPOs (AIM, UK Official List and Toronto Stock Exchange). His recent experience includes advising on:
- Numerous placings and other fundraisings by listed and other companies, whether acting for the company or the nomad/broker or lender.
- A number of acquisitions and debt and equity financings in the natural resources sector.
- The sale and purchase of a number of insurance brokers, insurance companies and associated businesses.
- A number of projects in the medical marijuana and CBD field, both M&A/financings and regulatory/advisory.
- Several "reverse takeovers", principally involving AIM-listed companies.
- A takeover offer in the clinical research sector.
- Two secondary placings by shareholders of an AIM company.
- Two Takeover Code offers by Canadian bidders.
- Two reductions of capital by AIM-listed clients.
- The financing to construct a five-star hotel in Sierra Leone.
- Several investments by an overseas real estate client.
- Various issues under the Market Abuse Regulation.
Jonathan has been described in Legal 500 UK as "solutions-oriented", and is recommended in the 2020 edition for both M&A deals up to £50 million and for Equity Capital Markets (Small-Mid Cap).
Chambers ranks Jonathan individually in Band 4 for Capital Markets: AIM (UK-wide) and states: “Jonathan Deverill offers broad experience in corporate matters, frequently advising companies and brokers on admission to AIM. He makes time available and fully engages, he speaks in layman’s terms, he concentrates on the major issues and he's well connected in the legal environment".
Jonathan has a first in law from Downing College, Cambridge and joined DAC Beachcroft in April 2015. Prior to joining DAC Beachcroft Jonathan spent the first nine years of his career at Slaughter and May and, amongst other things, worked for three and a half years in the London office of Canadian firm Stikeman Elliott. Jonathan is a former member of the Legal Committee of the Quoted Companies Alliance, and speaks regularly on topics of interest in the corporate/commercial legal field.
Health and Social Care
Banking, Restructuring and Insolvency
- 25 Walbrook
- EC4N 8AF
+44 (0) 207 242 1011View our office