Her full service practice includes:
- Undertaking fully outsourced data protection compliance reviews;
- Handling complex data subject requests;
- Responding to and defending ICO investigations;
- Designing appropriate data protection frameworks and accompanying policies and procedures; and
- Providing strategic advice on data protection risk appetite and tolerance.
Jade has particular experience and expertise in advising clients in the insurance industry. She is a trusted adviser to clients across the sector including (re)insurers, brokers and industry bodies. Having spent a number of years on client secondment, Jade has a thorough understanding of the sector and is able to apply her legal expertise to its complex arrangements and data flows with ease. Her practical approach to problem solving and advising is highly regarded by clients.
Jade is a member of a number of insurance market data protection committees and, in the lead up to the implementation of the GDPR, was extensively involved in considering compliance at an industry level. In particular, Jade was jointly instructed by the Association of British Insurers (ABI) and the Lloyd’s Market Association (LMA) to work with Government on a new legal ground processing of special category data and information relating to criminal convictions in the insurance sector. She was instrumental in its inclusion in the Data Protection Act 2018.
Examples of insurance sector specific experience include:
- Advising on data protection issues arising out of the use of aggregators in the distribution chain;
- Leading a complex data protection impact assessment for a retail household insurer regarding the use of personal data for pricing; and
- Advising on industry data sharing initiatives to tackle insurance fraud.
‘Jade Kowalski is friendly, attentive, pragmatic and solution focused. Aligned in thinking to the financial services industry and enable to provide useful insight into common practices and issue spotting.’ - Legal 500 UK 2023 Edition, Data Protection, Privacy & Cybersecurity
Data, Privacy and Cyber
- 25 Walbrook
- EC4N 8AF
+44 (0) 207 242 1011View our office