Alex specialises in providing aviation focused legal advice for insurers, reinsurers and the wider aviation industry across multiple jurisdictions.
He has 23 years’ experience advising clients across a range of aviation sectors. His clients have included airlines, general aviation operators, airports, MROs, ground handling companies, aviation security companies and product manufacturers.
This work has included major losses with a multi-jurisdictional aspect, defending high-profile fatal accident and personal injury claims, whether pursued against an operator or a manufacturer. He has a significant focus on cost-effective subrogation claims with a track record of successful recoveries, through mediation, arbitration or Court litigation. He also has expertise on debt recoveries and broader commercial litigation, particularly in the English Courts.
Alex has advised on risk management exercises, including practical and contractual reviews (aimed at mitigating exposure for Insured and Insurers), health & safety prosecutions, employment issues and the interface between the aviation industry and policing / security. He is one of very few practitioners to have advised upon UAV/drone liability claims. He has provided guidance to companies on media handling, and given complex coverage advice to Insurers and Reinsurers.
Tailored to the industry sector he serves, Alex’s experience is truly global – from local advice across the UK and Europe, to work in respect of clients and incidents across the Far East and Australasia (e.g. China, Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, PNG, Maldives, Australia), Africa (Nigeria, Kenya, Angola, Ghana, Rwanda, Tanzania, South Africa) and Latam (Mexico, Guatemala, Panama, Chile, Colombia, Bolivia, Peru, Venezuela), and is often involved in defending consequent litigation in the US Courts.
Relevant experience includes:
- Acting for Reinsurers in respect of the high-profile LaMia accident involving the major loss of a Bolivian aircraft carrying a Brazilian football team, which crashed in Colombia in November 2016, resulting in the death or injury of 68 passengers.
- Handling claims arising from the Shoreham Airshow accident when a Hawker Hunter aircraft crashed resulting in one of the largest UK general aviation losses in more than a decade.
- Acting for an airline in respect of a recovery action by a package holiday operator in the High Court including issues that tested established English principles in relation to service and jurisdiction.
- Handling and settling claims arising from losses in Tanzania, including a ditching in water due to fuel exhaustion, and the aborted take-off of a Cessna Caravan.
- Conducting settlement negotiations in Taiwan arising from a high-profile rotor-wing accident.
- Advising on liability (and potential HSE) issues arising from a fatal accident involving the Red Arrows.
- Major loss work including B747 cargo losses in Africa and Canada, wide-body war risk advice to Reinsurers, advising Insurers of an aircraft maintenance outfit in respect of a B737 loss in Greece.
- General aviation advice involving microlights, gliders, gyrocopters, balloons, helicopters, light aircraft and business jets (including advice on ground and mid-air collisions).
Client testimonials: “Alex has a driven approach to challenging situations that promotes confidence”; “an incredibly smart and competent lawyer … one of the biggest experts in the field of aviation worldwide”.
- 25 Walbrook
- EC4N 8AF
+44 (0) 207 242 1011View our office
There are no matching articles, please try a different filter.
3 Min Read
Grounded aircraft – fewer risks for insurers and operators?
4 Min Read
UK General Aviation Consultation – which way now for safety and a “Just Culture”?
5 Min Read
DAC Beachcroft builds international aviation practice with senior appointment in Singapore
14 Min Read