The DAC Beachcroft Medical Cannabis team supports both domestic and overseas clients on a variety of matters in this fast-evolving, entrepreneurial sector. Corporate Partner Jonathan Deverill leads the team, with expertise drawn from across our health, public law, corporate, life sciences and product liability teams.
Whilst the team is based predominantly in London, its reach is global. In North America, the team can call upon the expertise of fellow Legalign Global firm Wilson Elser in the United States; as well as the Canada Desk's long-established contacts across that country, which include several Canadian firms with well-known cannabis law practices. In Europe and elsewhere, support is drawn from the firm's own offices as well as broad links with other overseas law firms.
Recent projects include advising:
- A Canadian company on issues arising in connection with offering its shares to investors in the UK.
- On the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 and the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 as these might apply to holders of shares in certain companies.
- In relation to the retail sale in the UK of certain cannabis-based products.
- On matters relating to the Home Secretary's announcement in June 2018 that medical cannabis is to be legalised in the UK.
- Several clients on M&A, financing and joint venture transactions in the sector.
Together with the firm's Public Law and Health teams, we are also able to guide clients through the process of having a cannabis-based medicine approved by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency for use in the UK.
In addition to advising clients, the team has built a network of contacts in the industry, including financiers, consultants and other professionals, all of whom understand the medical cannabis field and to whom clients can be introduced where this is beneficial. The team works with its Corporate Finance colleagues to advise on fundraisings and listings in the UK and elsewhere, including on London's Main Market, AIM and the NEX Exchange.
We have spoken on some of the issues affecting the medical cannabis sector in the UK and publish from time to time insights and updates on topics of interest. We are delighted to be the Legal Sponsor of Cannabis Invest UK's forthcoming events in London on 2 October and Geneva on 3 October 2018.