Ann advises on high-value property claims, specialising in agricultural, highways and product liability claims. She provides advice, recovery and defence services to insurance companies, corporate organisations and individuals.
She has over 20 years’ experience advising clients across a range of sectors including agriculture, construction, manufacturing, retail and leisure, transport and logistics.
Ann leads our Property Agricultural Claims Team, who deal with a diverse range of recovery and liability claims for the farming industry. She has a particular interest in cases involving animals and has been involved in numerous equine and livestock cases. This has included dealing with cross-border disputes relating to the sale and transfer of defective livestock, and policy advice on the effect of Naturally Occurring Prohibited Substances (“NOPS”) in feed which has been sold to the equine racing industry.
Ann also leads our Property Highways’ Claims Team who defend ‘green’ highway chattels’ claims on behalf of insurers and their policyholders. She has a particular interest in high value highway surface damage and structure claims. She also works closely with our Complex Property and Motor Teams for highway claims, to ensure a joined up service for our clients.
Ann and her team provide strategic advice to clients on how to handle green claims effectively. She also helps clients to deal with the ever increasing number of litigated matters in a co-ordinated way which protects their business.
Relevant experience includes advising:
- A number of farmers and their insurer in a class action against gas oil suppliers/manufacturer relating to damaged agricultural machinery following the supply of defective fuel. Ann was able to recover in excess of 85% of insurer’s expenditure plus the farmers’ uninsured losses from the gas oil suppliers.
- A client in relation to a claim allegedly arising from the transmission of BovineTB. Ann helped steer the farmer client through challenging High Court proceedings including advice on cattle husbandry improvements in conjunction with the appointed livestock experts. The £2m+ claim was subsequently discontinued by the Claimant once the absence of causation evidence was highlighted. Ann’s thorough case preparation and strategic advice avoided the need for the farmer to attend trial during what would have been the busiest time in the agricultural calendar.
- An insurer client in relation to a claim against one of their overseas domiciled policyholders arising from damage to the surface of the M25 following an escape of oil due to impact damage. The claim as quantified was just below £2 million. Ann successfully guided the insurer through the rigours of the proceedings and successfully negotiated settlement at a fraction of the original claim.
- A Game shoot on a nuisance/negligence claim and potential injunctive relief arising from the alleged trespass and consumption by game birds of third party crops. Ann advised the insurer client on the potential implications of the case on other similar businesses in addition to guiding both clients through the proceedings and adverse publicity. The claim settled before trial therefore limiting any unfavourable consequences to the shoot’s reputation.
Ann is recognised by clients as a leading lawyer in agricultural claims and policy advice.
- DAC Beachcroft LLP
- Portwall Place, Portwall Lane
- Bristol, BS1 6NA
+44 (0) 117 918 2000View our office