What we do
We have the resource and in-depth knowledge to provide cost effective solutions from complex high value transactions to volume property management, through the full cycle of a residential development, addressing both non-contentious and contentious matters.
Our highly experienced, dedicated team of over 70 lawyers act for all 12 of the UK's leading housebuilders, as well as many emerging residential companies. We have centres of excellence in Bristol, Glasgow, Leeds, London, Manchester and Newcastle.
Detailed elements of our services
- Drafting and negotiation of complex land agreements, including conditional purchase agreements, options and collaboration agreements for residential and mixed use;
- Negotiation of planning permissions and planning agreements;
- Corporate and tax advice: Dealing with joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, setting up LLP and other special purpose vehicles;
- Construction projects: The appointment of consultants and negotiation of main build contracts and collateral warranties, particularly in the context of mixed use development;
- Environmental: Dealing with the development of brownfield sites, contaminated land and environmental impact assessments;
- Sustainability and energy supply: Advised on decentralised energy and sustainability requirements, with a particular focus on Energy Services Company (ESCo) structures;
- Public/private partner sectoring agreements: Affordable housing issues and working on schemes in collaboration with the Homes and Community Agency;
- Residential conveyancing: Our experienced team has a strong track record of managing a high volume and quick turnaround of plot sales. Their integration with the overall team ensures a consistent and coordinated approach to site set up, response to queries and plot sales progress.
We are proud to sponsor the HBF Policy Conference.
What our clients say
"They have a good skills set and a wide range of experience. We are very pleased with the services provided." Chambers and Partners UK 2015. Real Estate London
"It's got a good range of specialists who are very efficient, responsive and accommodating and who provide excellent service." Chambers and Partners UK 2015, Real Estate Litigation Leeds
"Housebuilding is a core sector; strength and depth in a national team." Legal Week Best Advisers Report 2016-17
Housing Whitepaper - 12 Key Points
What was expected to be a genuine shake-up of the planning system, has turned out be something far less radical and has left many in the industry…
Never (unintentionally) surrender!
The common law principle of surrender by operation of law allows a landlord and tenant to bring a lease to an end by actions which are consistent…
Notice the Partnership
Landlords are all too aware of the strict requirements, and potential pitfalls, of notices served in order to exercise a break right in a lease…
Renting your property out for short term use could turn it into a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO), for which a local authority licence may…
Return to sender no bar to break
In a recent case, Levett-Dunn v NHS Property Services Ltd, a tenant sent to its landlord by recorded delivery break notices to terminate three…
The Brexit Planning Landscape
While the short-term impact on planning will be negligible, the longer term planning and development landscape could look very different.
TOGCs - an intelligent extension
On the date of the referendum announcement, HMRC released an important long awaited business brief on TOGCs which clarifies and extends the treatment…
Serve you right?
Errors in service may invalidate a notice. It is, therefore, vital to ensure that you serve a notice effectively…
Building the Northern Powerhouse - lessons from the Rhine-Ruhr and Randstad
The idea at the heart of the Northern Powerhouse is to increase the scale of the North of England, better linking cities together through transport…
Investing in London's private rented sector
The performance of residential property as an investment class has started to attract the attention of large institutional landlords such as pension…