There is growing evidence that claims frequency is back to pre-Jackson levels and beyond, both in motor and elsewhere. It is now increasingly clear that rehabilitation costs are growing as a claim component, both for physiotherapy and for CBT.
The creation of MedCo has led to intense activity by medical agencies and related businesses and a growth in claims for rehabilitation costs, as pressure on RTA fees and medical reporting costs intensifies.
There is growing pressure from claimant organisations for reforms to the law of damages in higher value claims. The Negligence and Damages Bill may have succeeded in raising awareness of pressure to introduce a Scottish style approach to damages in fatal accidents claims and a widening of the categories of secondary victims who can bring claims for psychiatric injury. We are also seeing a greater number of claims for chronic pain, often from relatively minor trauma.
There are likely to be further considerable changes in the next three years around the right to general damages for minor RTA soft tissue injuries, an increase to the small claims limit, a further widening of fixed fee arrangements and greater regulation of CMCs and CHOs.
We will work with, consult and support our clients to understand the impact of the changes and we will look to identify increased or new activity, for example:
- An increase in exaggeration or fraud to try to move cases out of the SCT;
- An increase in psychological claims, treatment / rehabilitation;
- An increase on general damages (pressed by claimant lobby) on higher value claims;
- Changes (as per Scotland) to fatal Accident claims;
- Increased claims activity in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Eire where the changes will not apply.
What we do
We have a team of 162 motor injury lawyers and claims handlers dealing with 18,000 claims for over 25 insurer clients and corporates. Our team undertakes core motor work as well as indemnity and policy issues, overseas claims and complex litigation which can include serious and catastrophic injuries.
In summary we provide:
- Flexibility and scalability within our experienced teams to meet our clients' changing needs, from initial support, training, process engineering and litigation response.
- A leading voice in the industry – evidenced by our strategic litigation head, Andrew Parker's involvement at a government and political level – that supports our clients' position in the claims arena. We also sponsor and support the ABI Motor Conference.
- A team capable of dealing with all levels of claim, from MoJ and bent metal to catastrophic loss. In total the team contains 16 partners, all of whom are recognised as leading specialists in their field. All of the partners have dedicated teams consisting of associates through to solicitors and claims handlers who therefore have appropriate resource to deal with the work at the appropriate level.
- A team geared to dealing with corporate claims as well as individual claims, with specialist knowledge of claims involving commercial vehicles – bus, coach, haulage vehicles and emergency vehicles.
What we are known for
We have been handling motor claims on a pre-litigated and litigated basis for our clients for over 30 years. We invest our time in understanding exactly how our clients approach this market and their strategic goals in this arena.
We know what's important to our clients:
- A proactive strategic partnership in tackling emerging issues
- Trend analysis
- Strong relationships with our clients' customers
- Nominated support for our clients' key customers/corporates
- Litigation avoidance initiatives
- Outsourced UK handling
- An extension of their claims function
Our technical strength
Many of our lawyers are ranked No 1 in Chambers UK and The Legal 500 and we have received many accolades including Legal Business' Insurance Business of the Year 2015 and Insurance Fraud Awards Winner 2015. We ensure the best people are allocated to every case, which means we can leverage our technical know-how and expertise to optimise case outcomes and results.
Our client portfolio and relationships
By virtue of our client base (we act for 18/20 UK Insurers) we have a unique insight into the insurance sector. Specifically we can leverage data and use it to supply market insight and market benchmarking.
Our industry access and insight
No other law firm is as actively engaged as we are on Civil Justice Reforms, Government engagement and wider stakeholder involvement. We are the only official legal partner to the ABI. We are able to leverage this for our clients' benefit by bringing insight on emerging industry issues and shaping the future reform programme.
Market consolidator and leader
We have a proven track record of understanding our client's needs. We were, for example, first to market in both Scotland and Ireland to provide cross border legal services. We are a market consolidator and a destination business for teams of lawyers (eg Morgan Cole acquisition)
Detailed elements of our services
- MOJ Claims Handling (both within the Portal and outside)
- Outsource projects
- Motor injury defence litigation from small claims to complex multi-track
- Catastrophic injury
- Indemnity/coverage advice
- Chronic pain
- Market/strategic advice
- Costs litigation/advice
- Know your opponent strategies