Belgium - Belgian Privacy Secretary sets out data protection priorities
Published 2 June 2016
On 2 June, the Belgian Secretary of State for privacy presented a policy note setting out his proposals for privacy and data protection in Belgium (the "Note").
The Note focuses on six key areas:
- Reform of Belgian data protection rules in light of the EU General Data Protection Regulation
- Personal data and public security
- Personal data held by public authorities
- Personal data held by private organisations (with a focus on big data)
- Personal data and new media
- Security of personal data
The the Note provides useful insight into the future priorities of data protection enforcement bodies in Belgium so organsiations should ensure that they keep up to date with further developments in these focus areas in Belgium.
The Note can be accessed here (French and Dutch)