James has considerable experience in commercial property matters with a particular focus on large scale development projects and has acted for investors, property companies, developers, banks and funds in connection with their acquisitions, disposals and development of all classes of real estate.
He also has expertise in dealing with the real estate elements of the compulsory purchase process. Recent and relevant highlights including advising:
- Westfield in respect of overarching agreement with TfL, LBSL and LUL to facilitate the £1bn expansion of the Westfield London centre at Shepherd's Bush
- The Croydon Partnership in respect of various transactions relating to their development of the Whitgift Centre, Croydon including: agreement with Croydon Council to facilitate the related CPO; acquisition of various interests (including the long leasehold interest held by the Whitgift Trust); agreements with adjoining owners; and real estate aspects of the Westfield/Hammerson joint venture
- Advising a Mouchel/Babcock joint venture in respect of the negotiation of a tri-partite development management agreement with London & Newcastle and London Borough of Hackney in connection with residential development sites in E1 and N1.
- Advising BAE in respect of the proposed redevelopment of various sites including: the former royal ordnance factory at Puriton, Somerset; Samlesbury airfield and Filton Airfield.
- DONG Energy and Scottish Power Renewables in respect of a development agreement with the Belfast Harbour Commissioners to facilitate the construction of new harbour facilities at Belfast Harbour suitable for offshore windfarm projects.
James qualified in 2002 and joined DAC Beachcroft in 2016 after a nine year association with Ashurst LLP.