Matthew Darling is a corporate partner, specialising in mergers and acquisitions, disposals, shareholders' agreements, joint ventures, co-investment arrangements and corporate reorganisations. He has particular expertise in transactions on AIM and in the technology sector.
His clients range from AIM-listed technology companies, through regulated utility companies and hi-tech start-ups, to high net worth individuals. He has served as a non-executive director of an AIM-listed technology business, giving him further insight into what clients expect of their advisers, and has over 20 years' experience of advising on the transactional, commercial and corporate governance related issues encountered by companies throughout their lifecycle.
Recent deals on which he has led include:
- Redcentric plc's admission to AIM and subsequent acquisitions of InTechnology by means of a £65m reverse takeover, of Calyx for £12m, and of City Lifeline for £4.8m;
- Dice Holdings Inc's acquisitions of OilCareers.com Limited, WorkDigital Limited and Jobboard Enterprises Limited;
- The reverse takeover of UBC Media Group plc by 7digital;
- Accumuli plc's disposal to Juniper Networks of its Webscreen DDoS software product and acquisitions of Eqalis Limited, Signify Solutions Limited and RandomStorm Limited;
- The sale by 2ergo Group plc of 2ergo Limited to Eagle Eye Solutions Group plc;
- Pinnacle Technology Group plc's acquisitions of Ancar-B Technologies and Weston Communications;
- Castle Street Investments plc's acquisition of Selection Services Investments Limited for £34.8m and associated £30m placing;
- The sale by Castleton Technology plc of Comunica Holdings to Coms plc and its subsequent acquisitions of Montal, Documotive, Keylogic, Opus Information Technology, Impact Applications, Brixx Solutions and Kypera Holdings;
- Redstone plc's acquisition of Maxima Holdings plc by means of a scheme of arrangement and demerger of its Network-Based Managed Services Business by way of a special dividend;
- The sale of 365 Agile Limited to lafyds plc by way of a reverse takeover and its subsequent acquisitions of EasyTherm, Ciseco and SVS;
- Mathiesons Bakery's acquisition of Anglo-Austrian Patisserie Limited;
- MXC Capital Limited's scheme of arrangement to insert a new Guernsey holding company and admission to AIM and subsequent tender offer.
Matthew started his career working for Credit Agricole on the Marché à Terme des Instruments Financiers in Paris, before qualifying as a solicitor in 1994. He has also worked in Hong Kong and the United Arab Emirates. Matthew is Regional Senior Partner for the firm's Fetter Lane office.
"Matthew is praised for his ‘ability to cut to the nub of the issue’." Legal 500 UK, M&A, 2012 Edition, London
Matthew is a Recognised Practitioner of Corporate/M&A (Chambers and Partners Guide 2016).