Hans Allnutt is a partner and leads DAC Beachcroft's cyber risk and breach response team.
Hans is a disputes specialist advising on claims involving financial institutions, professionals, tech and telecom companies both nationally and internationally. Hans' practice includes litigation in the Courts of England & Wales, arbitration and other forms of ADR.
For insurer clients, Hans advises on claims arising under D&O, E&O and PI policies. He is an expert on cyber risk, data breach incidents and insurance policies. Hans is also instructed by corporate clients on data protection and privacy issues.
Hans is widely published on the topic of cyber risk, data protection and information security. He is regularly invited to speak at industry and client sponsored events. He tweets about cyber risk and privacy issues via @legallnutt.
Work highlights in the last two years include:
- Advising insurers on the aggregation and subsequent arbitration of a £10m group litigation against a solicitors' firm;
- Advising on the recovery of funds stolen from a professional firm as a result of a vishing attack;
- Advising in respect of a non-physical damage BI cyber insurance claim in respect of a major retailer;
- Establishing data breach response teams for clients experiencing data breaches;
- Advising a Virtual ISP following a data breach in relation to the inadvertent disclosure of over 5m personal data records;
- Advising a telecoms company suffering one of the largest breaches in the UK;
- Advising the MD of a finance broking house following a cyber extortion demand and data breach;
- Defending an IT company in respect of a claim arising from a negligent installation of hardware;
- Advising an IT company on a dispute in relation to its financial services software;
- Advising on various PCI-DSS breaches;
- Coordinating global notification advice for various US companies who have suffered data breaches;
- Advising on the aftermath of the theft by hackers of personal data and confidential information from a mobile telecoms company;
- Advising insurers in respect of a global phreaking attack on an insured technology company;
- Advising on the coverage of multiple claims against an insurance broker in relation to a complex tax avoidance scheme.
Academic and press contribution highlights include:
- Rising Tide of Cyber Risks Could Swamp the Insurance Market, Computers & Law Magazine, Oct 2015
- Three perspectives on cyber security for financial services, E-finance & Payments Law & Policy, Sep 2015
- In-depth: Getting ready for the risk, Insurance Age, Jul 2015
- Europe: Cyber Security, Post Online, Jun 2015
- The importance of managing cyber risk for e-commerce, E-Commerce Law and Policy Journal, May 2015
- EC highlights cyber crime as priority in Agenda on Security, Cyber security Law and Practice Journal, May 2015
- Appeal decision may fuel cyber insurance growth, Insurance Day, Apr 2015
- Cyber insurers warned about loss aggregations as companies brace for Shellshock losses, Insurance Day, Oct 2014
- Cyber insurers should consider aggregation after largest breach in history¸ Insurance Day, Aug 2014
- IT Security: A problem shared is a problem halved, E-Commerce Law Reports Journal, Aug 2014*
- A BIBA broker's guide to Cyber Risks (Parts 1 and 2), 2014
- An integrated approach, Reactions Magazine, Feb 2014
- Sony fined £250,000 for PlayStation breach, Insurance Insight, Jan 2014
Industry speaking highlights include:
- Advisen Cyber Risks Insights Conference, 9 Feb 2016
- The Security Institute, Cyber Risk and Insurance Conference, 3 Nov 2015
- Association of British Insurers, Cyber Insurance Conference, 11 May 2015
- Chartered Insurance Institute, 16 Apr 2015
- Advisen's Cyber Risks Insights Conference, New York, Oct 2014
- Insurance Technology Forum, 23 Sep 2014
- C5's 4th Cyber Risk and Data Protection Insurance Forum, Sep 2014
- AIRMIC Cyber Security Workshop, Nov 2013
- Institute of Risk Managers, Nov 2013
- Infosecurity Magazine Webinar, Penetration testing: staying a step ahead of the hackers, Nov 2013
- Massachusetts Reinsurance Bar Association, Jul 2012
- International Association of Claims Professionals, Lloyd's Library, Apr 2012.